So...the sewalong for March from Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy was the Easy Linen Shirt pattern from the book, Sewing for Boys. And, I whipped one up last night for my oldest.
I don't love this pattern, I have to admit. It's pretty wide and the sleeves are quite a bit too long--I have to roll them up for my son. Plus, I'm not sure if I like how the neck is open so low. But, either way, my son loves the shirt. He woke up this morning asking, 'Where's my new shirt? Is it done? Can I wear it?'
The pocket in the front was my addition. It needed something and what better thing than a pocket? It's perfect for storing Lightning Mcqueen and Mater, plus a few other cars!
I'm quite pleased how the stripes all matched up at the shoulders and even the collar in the back. It's a very thin (I believe cotton) fabric that I bought off an older lady who was getting rid of her stash. I believe it was around $1.50 a metre!
Now, I have to sew a shirt for my second son...
And, another project I had been working on and finished is a big pack of washcloths or reusable wipes that my mother-in-law requested I make.
They're perfect for little baby gifts!
And, they're so easy to make! I took two 8"x8" squares for each, sewed them right sides facing, using 1/4" seam allowance, turned them right side out, pressed, and topstitched. The first couple, I ended up topstitching too far in (1/4"), so I didn't close the opening. This was easily remedied by adding a lovely fancy stitch along the side where the opening was. The rest, I topstitched 1/8" from the edge.
Perfect quick gift!