Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hats and a Belt




Photobucket

I finished!!! I had almost forgotten about this months sew-along over at Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Crafts, but the last 2 days I made up for it.
The actual thing to sew was a pair of suspender shorts, but because I'm not a real suspender fan, and because my kids really needed some sun hats, I chose the option of sewing up the 'Let's Go Fishing Hat' and the 'Hold 'em Up Belt.' I got a little sew-happy and whipped up three hats:


I wish there was a smaller size--say 3-6 months. I'd love to sew up a fourth for my baby because I love how they turned out!


My kids had worn through a bunch of pants, so I cut off the legs to make shorts out of them. I cut up the cut-off pieces to make these hats. I have to admit, for my little girl's hat, I ended up using the whole pair of pants--leaving no shorts for her.



On the cuff of my daughter's pants there was this design embroidered, and I knew that I wanted that to be the focal point of her hat--nice and girly!


I had a lot of fun incorporating the existing seams and buttons into the hats. It added a lot of details to the hats that made them as fun as they are.


Oh, and to make things even better: they are reversible!
The contrast fabric I used was, for the boys' hats a quilting cotton that I found at Fabricland when I first started sewing. I actualy made curtains out of that fabric for the baby room. For my daughter's hat, I had some leftover fabric from this dress. I bought that from Fabric.com. It is another quilting cotton and it matched perfectly with the embroidery on top.

I also sewed up a belt for my daughter this evening, quickly. It's the 'Hold 'em Up Belt,' also from the Sewing for Boys book.


I used a fun quilting cotton that I received from a friend a couple of months ago. I'm not sure where it's from. I'll have to see if it fits her properly yet--I didn't measure her, but a pair of her pants as she was sleeping. But, either way, I like how it turned out. A very simple pattern or tutorial, since it guides you through the steps to make it rather than providing an actual pattern.

I've come to the conclusion that I really like this book. There are a lot of basic, fun patterns in here and I would definitely recommend it if you have boys, and even if you have girls!


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that you made them all matching hats. I plan to do the same for my boys although it hasn't been sunny enough to actually need hats here.
    I'm wondering if you could measure the baby's head and re-size the smallest pattern. The total for the brim pieces would just need to be the same as the head circumference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hats! Especially how you reused old jeans keeping the details :) Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hats are so cute!! What a great idea to use old pants. I love how they turned out. Thanks for linking up to Slash the Stash!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

There was an error in this gadget