Saturday, May 3, 2014

Scrapbusting Saturday--Cloth Wipes

Finally, at baby #5, I've decided to jump on the cloth diaper wagon.
Yep, I'm sucking up my absolute dislike for dirty diapers, and 'going cloth.'
 
 
I found a box of 24 cloth diapers for $50 and then a friend at Church happened to be trying to get rid of some, so I got 12 from her--for free!
So, instead of paying $30 for a box of disposables for at least 2 children, for $50 I can diaper them until they're potty trained!
To make it completely cheap, I decided to make some cloth wipes too--out of flannelette scraps I had at home.

 
I cut 2 8"x8" squares for each wipe, sewed them together with wrong sides together, using a 1/4" seam allowance, turned, and topstitched 1/8" from the edge. Now, I have a total of 29 wipes. (Yes, I know--a rather random number, but when I had a good stack I stopped cutting, and then counted.) 

 
After some research, I decided to make a mixture of 1 cup water, a small scoop--about 1/2 Tbsp of coconut oil, and a few drops of tea tree oil which I poured over strategically folded wipes in an old wipes dispenser (the Huggies wipes dispensers.)
Now, they are moist, smell good, and slide pretty good.
I'm all set, and my 2 year old is now in cloth diapers as I get used to the whole routine.

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck with the cloth diaper thing! I have some unused ones that are really nice, would you like me to send them to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use cloth diapers! Love them, hope you do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cloth diapered my third and have been waaaaay to lazy to do it with my fourth 😛 but I have always used cloth wipes. I really like delish solution cubes. 2 cups of boiling water two cubes and pour it over the wipes. To put it in perspective I have my original bag I bought when squish was still in my tummy......I am still not finished the bag and she is nearly 14 months old. Best $7 I've spent lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!