I recently made a headband for my daughter, and I thought it'd be fun to show you how I did it!
This fit my 8.5 month old daughter's 17" head.
(Total length of headband is about 16.5".)
You may have to change the lengths to adjust to your daughter's head size.
-Fabric piece: 11" x 2.5"
-Lace Trim: 10.5" long, or other embellishments
-1/4" or 3/8" elastic: 6"
1. Take the piece of fabric and first fold and press the long sides to the wrong side by 1/4".
Then, fold and press the short sides by 1/4".
2. Remove pins from short folded ends, and fold the whole piece in half, wrong sides together.
3. Topstitch the long open end, being sure to keep the short ends open.
4. Topstitch the other side as well, still keeping the short ends open.
5. Insert one side of the elastic by about 1/4" into one short side.
6. Topstitch in place.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with opposite side.
You should now have this:
8. Pin your lace to the right side of the headband.
Stitch in place.
Or, add your choice of embellishments.
9. You're done!