*Edited to update links!*
Another Go-To Patterns Brand Ambassador post!
This month I sewed up the Lizzy Dress by Shwin Designs.
|She's trying to keep her dress from blowing up--it was super windy!|
I had planned a different fabric for this dress....a regular quilting cotton, but when I pulled it out, it was just a yard.
Which, I found out is not enough.
I used 1.5 yards of a pretty eyelet that I bought a number of years ago either at Fabricland or Marshalls (not the dry goods store).
The simple design of the dress should have been a super quick, easy sew.
But, I had to take apart the whole bodice after I had sewed, and clipped the seam allowances of the bodice.
Why? Because I was super blonde and used the wrong side of the fabric as the right side.
Yeah and the only reason I clued in at that point was that my super rough, sand-papery hands kept catching at the threads that were on the
I started thinking, if my hands keep catching that, it'll be a hot mess if my daughter wears it anywhere and rubs against anything.
That was when I realized that I had indeed sewn it backwards--the real front had 'normal' thread, not the quick-to-catch thread that the back side had.
So I spent a good bit of time seam ripping.
I'm glad it got finished since my daughter was in love with the dress, and she was in dire need of some longer dresses. This one is a size 4 width with size 7 length, partly because I want it a certain length, and the length for her chart measurements would have been shorter than I wanted.
I would sew it again, but I think I'd make the skirt part a little less wide/gathered, and maybe add some piping or rick-rack to the tabs.
You can buy the pattern here.