Saturday, March 24, 2012

Easy Linen Shirt and more....

Photobucket

So...the sewalong for March from Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy was the Easy Linen Shirt pattern from the book, Sewing for Boys. And, I whipped one up last night for my oldest.


 I don't love this pattern, I have to admit. It's pretty wide and the sleeves are quite a bit too long--I have to roll them up for my son. Plus, I'm not sure if I like how the neck is open so low. But, either way, my son loves the shirt. He woke up this morning asking, 'Where's my new shirt? Is it done? Can I wear it?'


The pocket in the front was my addition. It needed something and what better thing than a pocket? It's perfect for storing Lightning Mcqueen and Mater, plus a few other cars!


I'm quite pleased how the stripes all matched up at the shoulders and even the collar in the back. It's a very thin (I believe cotton) fabric that I bought off an older lady who was getting rid of her stash. I believe it was around $1.50 a metre!
Now, I have to sew a shirt for my second son...
~~~~~~~~~~~~
And, another project I had been working on and finished is a big pack of washcloths or reusable wipes that my mother-in-law requested I make.


They're perfect for little baby gifts!


 And, they're so easy to make! I took two 8"x8" squares for each, sewed them right sides facing, using 1/4" seam allowance, turned them right side out, pressed, and topstitched. The first couple, I ended up topstitching too far in (1/4"), so I didn't close the opening. This was easily remedied by adding a lovely fancy stitch along the side where the opening was. The rest, I topstitched 1/8" from the edge.
Perfect quick gift!





1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!